Monday, April 13, 2009

Rediscovering Salad

Today is the first weekday of my week-long vacation, and I decided that I was going to make a delicious salad for lunch.  Last year, I ate a salad for lunch everyday, but lately I’ve been bringing leftovers, homemade wraps, and a Lean Cuisine thrown in every so often.

So since I had some time on my hands, I went to Safeway and thought I’d let inspiration strike me.  I used to buy a pre-made Mexican chicken salad from Trader Joe’s that I enjoyed, so that was what influenced today’s creation:

It was so filling, and all for only 7 points!

2 cups of romaine hearts

1/2 cup black beans

1/2 cup canned corn

1 cup of jicama

10 grape tomatoes

3 strips of Trader Joe’s Just Chicken strips

1/4 cup of 2% Mexican four-cheese blend shredded cheddar

2 TBSP Salsa

2 TBSP fat-free ranch dressing

This salad was so delicious!  Much better than the salad that I used to get from Trader Joe’s, and probably cheaper to make, too.  I’m definitely going to make this again, because the combination was just so fresh and satisfying.

The hardest part of the whole salad was cutting the jicama.  If someone knows an easy way to go about it, please let me know.  The skin was too tough for me vegetable peeler, so I ended up using a knife and cutting it up.  It worked fine, but just took a lot of time and effort.  This is whyI usually buy the pre-cut jicama when they have it.  (Today they didn’t).

What are your favorite salad creations?

No comments:

Post a Comment