Monday, March 30, 2009

Overtraining?

I’ve been feeling really tired lately, sometimes even practically falling asleep at work. It’s hard to know what the exact cause is as there are a number of possibilities, but one that occurred to me was that I might be overtraining. But for the first time, I am enjoying exercise. I’ve been doing it because it’s fun, not out of any other driving motivation. Other possibilities include coming down with something, general stress levels, or poor quality sleep at night. I have been having nightmares and waking up feeling unrested most days for the last week or so, so that could also be to blame. There is a pretty good guide to overtraining on about.com, explaining what it is, how to tell if you have it, and what to do about it.

I have taken a few days off lifting but am still very tired. I have also been suffering from headaches and am sleeping a lot. As a result, I am not necessarily eating three proper meals a day, so am not getting all my nutrients in. I may start drinking a protein meal replacement shake in the evening if I don’t feel like a meal. I am also going to start meditating. I learned how to do TM a few years back, but have fallen out of the habit. So, additional goal for this week: 20 mins TM everyday, and see how I get on. I have had to make a decision on my already overdue weights and intervals from BFS. But it is late (gone 11pm). I think I will have today off completely, go and get my protein shake, and go to bed. After meditating.

No comments:

Post a Comment