Sunday, March 14, 2010

Kinda Jazzed About Today's Run

My half-marathon training schedule called for me to run eight miles today. A few weeks ago, eight felt like a big bunch of miles. I suppose everything’s relative. Two weeks ago I ran 10 miles, so today’s eight didn’t seem so daunting.

I had planned to take it easy during today’s training session. I had an 11 a.m. work commitment, and I wanted to run prior to that. In order to train at a very comfortable pace, shower, primp, and get to the function on time, I planned an early wake-up. But I didn’t pack my gym bag last night, nor did I assemble my running clothes, fuel belt, etc. In short, I was about a half hour late getting started.

Because I was running late and because I gained a lot of confidence last weekend by running my fastest six miles ever, I ran a little faster than was comfortable. I kept tabs on my pace with my GPS running watch and while it wasn’t exactly Chariots of Fire, I felt good about what I was doing. When I got to the locker room I recorded my time in my training log, then flipped back a few pages to find the notes from my last eight miler. To my astonishment, I shaved 15 minutes off of my time for that distance!

Even though I was a little stiff and sore at the work function, I believe I walked a little taller and prouder. I’m beginning to get used to feeling uncomfortable. And it’s really not so bad.

[Via http://482gr8.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment