Thursday, March 4, 2010

The More I Change... The More I Stay The Same

Lately coffee is the mote in my eye. I quit it once and was good with it. My sit-downs were solid, I was losing weight, my temper was more even tempered, then Christmas came around and Starbucks had this great Christmas Blend, and I got in the habit of hanging at Starbucks in the mornings and reading on my Kindle.

Coffee is Mote in My Eye

So I promised to be off coffee come the end of the Christmas Blend. Starbucks Christmas coffee has been gone for about 2.5 months. I still sneak coffee.

Although I don’t know if it is connected my weight I had lost has come back, despite my now doing Spinning Classes 2x a week along with treadmill running 2x a week and some lifting. My diet is so/so. Heck, I even drive out and do stairs in Santa Monica area for an hour. I was doing well when I used some iPhone ap to track my weight and eating. I still use it from time to time, for the most part I can tell my calories are under what I need to lose weight. I eat more vegetarian in the morning and lunchtime if I can. Yet my weight is going up. WHY? Sure I could use the excuse that I turned 45 and my metabolism has slowed down. But that is BS. Studies show if you work out regularly and eat well your metabolism might slow a bit, but not enough to cause all this gain.

I could look at my actions. If my gym partners cancel I don’t tend to go to the gym. When I was losing weight I might not have gone to the gym so much but I was using KettleBells down in the garage and swinging them around along with Jump Rope work. I get up and sit on the computer most of the time, or watch TV (very little of it as I have tons of videos and Hulu.com shows and most of them just sit there). I have studies to do for graphic work and my massage business, and I do work on them, but my discipline could be a lot better. Well, unless you are Martha Stewart or some other crazy person who is obsessed with such stuff, then you can be committed to stuff and stick to it. I realize it is all habits. My focus is not very focused and I think that is a big thing to realize. Focus and morning commitment and habits are the killer actions. If I start out my day strong and in a big way and I can be happy with that.. then it won’t effect me having to ignore what is going on in my life (or lack of what I am not doing) by being stuck on the computer.

Ironic I am on the computer posting this since my Gym Partner who has been flaking lately pretty well said in his text last night that he was planning on not showing up. His text was ‘I am going to bed now, so I can try to be up and working out with you’. Notice he used the word ‘try’ in his sentence. He is already planning his failure, as most people do.

[Via http://basboyblair.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment