Thursday, November 12, 2009

High on Greens

I grew up eating collards, mustard and turnip greens.  My grandmother would tell me, as she dipped me out a generous helping, “Eat these greens.  They’ll make your cheeks rosy.”

Well, I’m not sure about the rosy part, but I know that when I eat greens, I feel so energized and clean.  Yes, greens make me feel very clean.

My latest hankering has been for kale.  I eat kale for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but when I came across the Kale-Parmesan salad at Lu Lu Wilson in Aspen, Colorado last year, I developed a new love affair with this green.

Last night, my husband and I dined at Lu Lu’s, and the place was packed. Kale salads were pouring out of the kitchen.  Honestly, I believe every one in the place ordered this dish.

It’s so popular, and rightfully so.  It is truly delish!

My theory is that people are so high off of this salad, that they have threatened the chef, so he has (generously) shared his recipe.

Even if you don’t like greens, I suggest you just give this recipe a whirl.  It’s like the little black dress that has been jazzed up with a Birkin bag and a Harry Winston pendant.

It’s greens on steroids.

It’s like eating a drug.

Yes, I’m a little high on greens myself, and I think that my cheeks may even be a little more rosy this morning.

LuLu Wilson Kale Salad

One serving. Can be made a few hours ahead, but better if prepared just before serving.

2            ounces dark green kale with no yellow edges

2            tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1            tablespoon lemon juice

1/4            cup currants

1/4            cup grated parmesan cheese

1/4            cup pine nuts, not toasted

Using a very sharp knife, cut away the kale leaves’ tough center stems. Roll the leaves like a cigar and cut them into very fine thin slices, about 1/8th-inch wide.  Put kale and olive oil into a bowl and toss by hand. Add the lemon juice and toss again. Add the currants, parmesan, and pine nuts and toss by hand until the mixture is soft. Taste and adjust quantities if needed. Serve on a cold plate.

NOTE: “Cut the kale using an extremely sharp knife,” says Coffey. “A dull knife will crush the kale and make the salad soggy. It’s also fun to use a recipe like this to learn a technique like chiffonade (where herbs and leafy vegetables are cut into long, thin strips).”

(Courtesy of Aspen Magazine)

My suggestion:  Make this salad ahead of time and let it marinate for a few hours. And, the cold plate really does end the finishing touch.  Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment