Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Running

So, it’s been months since I last posted. I stopped posting because I got a little too obsessed with losing weight and I felt like a failure. Anyway, I’m about the same weight these days. I stopped weighing myself so much, but I’m usually between 114 and 116. Anyways, over the summer I wasn’t exercising as much or as hard as I should have been, which is probably why I didn’t lose all the weight that I wanted to lose. Also, being around my boyfriend 24/7 wasn’t good for my eating habits. I’ve worked on those (my eating habits), and I’m at a point where I literally cannot eat very much without feeling sick. I had a spell of something, I don’t know what, and my only symptom was extreme nausea, especially when I ate. So for about two weeks I barely ate anything, and I think my stomach must have shrunk or something, because I can’t even drink a full 12-ounce can of soda without feeling sick. I’m trying to eat only when I’m hungry, but I have indulged some, and I think I stretched my tummy out a little bit, but I’m pretty much at a happy medium where I can eat enough without eating too much or feeling full too fast. Whatever, the point is, I’m not as much of a fattie anymore. I’m trying to focus on long-term changes and goals. Slower weight loss is generally more successful weight loss, anyway. I’m more likely to keep it off by losing it slower.

Okay, enough of that. Now to running.

I have decided to start running. I bought I decent pair of running shoes (nothing too expensive or too cheap), a slightly-too-tight sports bra (slightly too tight so that my breasts will stay firmly against my chest), and some new workout capris! Today I wore my new gear and took the first step toward living the life of a runner. I am following a running program that either I’ve adapted from somewhere or made up on my own, I can’t remember because I’ve spent days researching running programs for beginners. Anyway, here’s the program:

Week One: Mon.-Thurs. Run for one minute and walk for four minutes 6 times for a total of 30 minutes. And maybe get a mile or two on the weekend, too.

Today is Monday, which means I ran a total of six minutes today (more than ever; I know, it’s sad) and walked for a total of 24 minutes. Yay! It’s something to be proud of! I thought I was going to end up passing out and dying after the first one-minute run period, so I had intended to do 30-second bursts, but it turns out I’m in better shape than I though, and I managed to survive 6 one-minute bursts of running! It was also the fastest workout I’ve ever had. Like, it felt waaayyy faster than just walking for 32 minutes. I guess it’s because concentrating on and anticipating the one-minute run periods used a lot of my mind that would usually be bored and wandering. :] I’m not sure what I’m going to do for next week, I will have to figure it out when I get there. Plus, it’s Thanksgiving and I will be on holiday and away from my school’s awesome gym. But I think it will allow me to do more running outside, which, I think, will be a good thing.

Anyway, I’m super proud of myself and really happy because I feel like I am taking the initiative to really turn my life around. I’ve always wanted to run, but I’ve just never started; now, finally, I have started, and I have no intention of stopping. My first goal is to be able to run for 30 consecutive minutes. And then my next goal is to be able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes, which would have me running at about six miles per hour, which, honestly, is not that fast to most, but it is to me.

My tentative plan for after I reach my initial goals: After I succeed in being able to run 3 miles in half an hour, I will slowly increase my running time each week like this: 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 45, 48, 51, 54, 57, 60. I will then make sure that I can run 6 miles in sixty minutes, and then I will slowly, very slowly, start to add more speed and distance. Of course, I have no idea if this is actually what I will do, but I do know that I am not going to stop running. I love it; it’s so much more fun than walking and it burns so many more calories. I feel so proud knowing that I can run! This is one thing that I will definitely stick with, and I think I might start running outside, like cross country. I ran just a little from the gym to the dorms, and it was really pleasant, I can only imagine how wonderful running in nature, passing trees and plants and flowers with fresh air must be. I want to go to the park this weekend and run (or at least try to).

No comments:

Post a Comment