Saturday, December 19, 2009

Assessing the Damage

It has come to this.  The metaphorical tornado that is my life swept through over the last couple of months and now I have to assess the damage caused by stress, apathy, inactivity, distraction, and gluttony.  I hate doing this, always have, but it is essential to starting over.  It’s hard to climb out of the hole when you don’t know how far down you are (not to mention which way is up).   It would be far easier to sulk and stew where I am, ignore the depths to which I’ve descended, and find comfort in a blissful ignorance of my current condition.  After all, if I am unaware of how much I weigh now or how many inches I’ve added to my waist then I can’t have any depressing thoughts about how much ground I’ve lost over the last few months.  Well, I can have those thoughts, but as long as they aren’t confirmed by the scale and the tape, I can push them to the side and ignore them with much more ease.

No longer though.  This morning I braved the tape and the scale.  The knowledge I gained wasn’t pretty, but it was essential.  I have returned to a 37 inch waist and about 188.5 lbs.  This is still far better than the 209 or so lbs I started out at, but a far cry from my best weight of 166 lbs.  I did some chin-ups only to find I lost some, but luckily not a lot, of my upper body strength (down from 7 chin-ups to about 4).

But my workout for today isn’t going to be fun, nor will it be easy.  I designed it to be part fitness assessment, part penance for my previous apathy.  Perhaps it will be a cathartic exercise (pun intended).  The workout isn’t anything complicated, but it will be difficult.  The workout is broken up into three individual cycles (H.I.T. training method) of little to no rest between exercises, but 3-5 minutes of rest between cycles.

  • Goblet Squat: C1 & C2: 8-12 reps; C3: 6-8 reps
  • Lunge w/ Twist: All cycles 5-7 reps per leg
  • Chin-up (w/ 3 Neg.): C1 & C2: 5-7 reps; C3: 3-5 reps
  • Push-Up with T-twist: C1 & C2: 6-8 reps per side; C3: 4-6 reps.
  • One-legged Squat with resistance band assist: All cycles 4-6 reps per leg
  • D/B Push Press: C1: 8-10 reps; C2 & C3: 6-8 reps
  • Push-ups: C1: 2 sets of 15; C2: 3 sets of 10; C3: 5 sets of 6
  • Alt. plank arm raise: All cycles 6-8 reps
  • lift-press with twist:  All cycles 10-12 reps
  • Hanging less raise: C1: X; C2 & C3: 10-15 reps
  • planks: C1 & C2: X; C3: 3 30 second sets.

My meals for today include:

  • Breakfast (9 a.m.- we slept in): 2 whole eggs, 5 slices center cut low-fat bacon, 1 slice of whole wheat toast, fish oil supplement and multivitamin
  • Pre-workout (10:30 a.m.):  Whey protein shake with berries (black, raspberry, and strawberry)
  • Post-workout (11:30ish a.m.): Elite 12-hour protein shake with milled flax seed
  • Lunch (2:00 p.m.): Roast beef sandwich with spinach, tomato, mustard on 2 pieces of whole wheat bread
  • Snack (4:00 p.m.): Walnuts, unsweetened shredded coconut, and 85 dark chocolate mixed together
  • Dinner (6:30 p.m.): Chicken breast with greens

[Via http://totaltransformation.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment