Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Pendulum Swings In Reverse

Ugh!  Last week was so full of outside of activities, I felt like I lost my fitness focus. I only exercised 1/2 of my goal.  I didn’t do yoga or meditate or get enough sleep.  I ate on the run and, as a result, ate too many calorie dense foods including pizza, french fries, and desserts.  I feel tired and heavy and frustrated today. 

I have made a commitment to myself to eliminate complaining and negativity so I’m quickly and actively releasing the frustration and simply taking action to “fix the problem”.  I don’t know that I can actually fix it (a family of 5 means there will be some really full weeks) but I am committed to just getting back into action.  Heading out for an 8:15 a.m. Jazzercise class was my first step to setting things right for me.  That decision still feels good now at almost 5 p.m.

I also made a mental note to get out for a half hour brisk walk this evening.  That will give me 90 minutes today and will feel like a great start to the week.

I also have eaten well today:  pinto beans with spinach for breakfast, a salad and pea soup for lunch, and grabbing 2 apples as I ran out the door.  Yes, I’ve still eaten more than a serving of dark chocolate today.  (That will have to change soon.)  I have resisted countless cravings today reminding myself that I need to do that in order to reach my fitness goals.

My energy level is low right now though.  I’m feeling sleep deprived today.  I know that this contributes to weight gain or at least slows weight loss.  I’ve experienced it anecdotally.  There is science to back this up.  Here’s what Dr. Joel Furman has to say on the topic:  “Sleep deprivation alters hormones and increases appetite.”  He summarizes the results of one study:  “In this two-period, two-condition crossover clinical study, subjects were randomized to two days of sleep restriction (four hours per night) and two days of sleep extension under controlled conditions of energy intake and physical activity. During sleep restriction, there was an 18% decrease in the anorexigenic hormone leptin (P = .04), 28% increase in the orexigenic factor ghrelin (P < 0.40), 24% increase in hunger (P < .01), and 23% increase in appetite (P = .01), especially for energy-dense foods with high carbohydrate content (increase, 33% to 45%; P = .02). In animal models, sleep deprivation has been shown to lead to marked hyperphagia (eating more) as well.”  You can read more here.

Tonight’s goal is to be in bed by 10:15, which could give me 9 hours of sleep.  A chance to catch up a bit and to get a good start to eating lightly tomorrow.

Here are my current stats (the original ones show as a strikethrough):

Weight 164 lbs  158 lbs (goal for this week is 153)

How I did today:

1.  Sleep - 7.5 hours last night

2.  Exercise - 60 minutes of Jazzercise

3.  Strength training - part of Jazzercise

4.  Yoga – nope

5.  Meditation – 0

6.  Food – lots of veggies and fruit, plus more than one serving of chocolate

How I did during week #13:

1.  Sleep – average of 7.8 hours (goal is average 8.5 hours) 

2.  Exercise - 5.75 hours (goal is now 10.5) 

3.  Strength training – 4x w/Jazzercise (goal is 3 times per week) 

4.  Yoga – 0 (goal is once a week)

5.  Meditation – 0 minutes (goal is 10 minutes a day)

6.  Food – pizza, fries, eating on the run, not enough fruits and veggies, still too much chocolate

[Via http://40poundsin40weeks.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment