Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Days 25 - 31 - Where the "F" Have I Been?

Miss me? You know you did, don’t lie. Over the past week, people have thought that I had either died, gained 100lbs or ran off to take part in a Central American stage show. Well, I am happy to say that I have done none of the above. Where have I been then? Good question… After the miserable failure I had experienced over the last few weeks between my illness and my lack of motivation to exercise, I decided that I needed to regroup and take a breather. After my last post on January 25th, I had to step back and figure out what the hell was going on. I had been so motivated and so ready to go for weeks and then suddenly, I was on a one way ticket to FATOPIA, population: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000…

I wasn’t overeating or anything crazy like that, but the last few weeks were just hard in terms of getting excited about the gym again. So on 1/25 and 1/26, I managed to excuse my way out of the gym but on 1/27, I had no choice as I had to face CJ and explain to him that I was a deadbeat for most of January. Instead of and being scolded and called fat, I actually got a more sympathetic and concerned response as he did not want to see me slide back to being the fatty he first met in October. During our rigorous one hour workout, he consistently reminded me why I was there and what I was doing for myself. He then decided that I would get measured this week (as in Wednesday 2/3… eek) and then next week, he was going to see me twice in the same week to make sure I was getting excited about this whole process again. He really did not want me to lose focus and after seeing him… I did get some of my spunk back.

After our lovely hour I remembered the 5K and how far I had come with my strength training and I had to kick myself a few times for wasting what could have been a great month in weight loss. But… I can’t look back. I didn’t gain an enormous amount of weight (maybe a pound or two) and I found last week that I am still pretty strong with both my weights and my running. So after seeing CJ I made sure to make it back to the gym to complete the new circuit twice (Saturday and tonight) and I also made sure to get going with my running. On my last two treadmill runs, I managed to hit 2 miles in just about 20 minutes… if I can keep this up outside on pavement and then add an additional 10 or so minutes, I will have my 5K in a VERY respectable first time try…

I also decided to kick up my weight training a notch by going out and buying an enormous tub of whey protein powder. I bought a canister of Muscle Milk Light and made my first protein packed shake tonight and it actually did not taste bad at all. I made sure to drink it as soon as I got home from the gym to make sure all of that liquid protein got to my muscles and I then followed it up with a light dinner an hour and a half later. I’ve been online finding all of these recipes to make with the powder so that one of these shakes can sometimes serve as a meal replacement as well… found an outstanding recipe where you add bananas, natural peanut butter, some other crap… sounded tasty. In the beginning, I’ll stick to the simple water and milk recipe and only drink them after workouts… I’ll graduate to complicated recipes in a week or two.

So, what did I learn these last few weeks? As fun as this blog is and as much support as I get from it… no one can motivate me but me. Kinda sucks huh? I thought for sure that all of the inquiries regarding my blogging absence would have gotten me to get up and get moving, but it didn’t. Yes, it’s nice to have so many people support me on this journey and wonder if I am OK, etc… but the only one who can fix me is me and I had to fix myself to get back on this road once again. I may have had a scary few weeks, but I am back in this game and that is all that counts! The support does help, but you really need to want this… if you don’t want it, then no one and nothing can help you until you help yourself and get that drive back. Fortunately for me, I got it back and I am just hoping that this time it sticks! Look for the new measurements this week…

Until next time folks…

[Via http://riguy1980.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment