Tuesday, August 25, 2009

As we were eating out at Old Country Buffet this evening–meatloaf Monday–I casually mentioned to M, “There is an article in New Scientist magazine this week about how obese old people have smaller brains than their skinny counterparts.”

She paused with her fork of peach cobbler halfway to her mouth to look at me askance, “Really?”

“Ayep,” I said, “and obesity in middle years is linked with an increased risk of dementia.”

“Why do they think that is?” she asked, after she finished chewing.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged, “Either because being fat causes one’s brain to shrink or one’s brain shrinks causing one to be fat.”

She looked quizzical. I said I would send her the article to chew over. So, here is the link…make of it what you will:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327222.400-expanding-waistlines-may-cause-shrinking-brains.html

Frankly, I have always had a big head. Many of my smaller counterparts probably would not mind if it shrunk a little.

[Via http://halleday.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment