Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fellowship of the Rings

Fashion to me should be fun. And jewelry should be special. If I had to describe my style, it would be classic with a kick. By that I mean: rings shaped like squares, matte gold jewelry, you know stuff like that. That’s why  I was so attracted to the whole concept of coloured diamonds.

Oddly enough though, I find the best jewelry comes from the smaller jeweller. The ones who are so into their designs, and create really original pieces. I know there are some standard settings, but sometimes what limits you can inspire greatness. I love the jewelers who are really artists and used metal and precious stones as their medium.

I’m not an artist myself, but I have ideas in my head for jewelry, and once the funds are there plan to “design” some pieces with a trusted jeweler. I’m very picky and custom jewelry fits my control-freak personality.

In real life I don’t wear alot. My only mandatory jewelry is my rosary ring, I always try to have a gold and a silver one so I can always wear one when I go out. I don’t wear earrings regularly, though I want to. I plan to get some studs for my ears. They’re pierced twice, and I need to keep the newer holes open. I’ve just been slack.

Since my lack of funds makes owning the type of jewelry I like difficult, I browse.

Costume jewelry is great for a girl with a budget (once she’s ot allergic to it) amd during Carnival I really look towards my assessories to bring colour and drama to my fete gear. That’s why I love plastic jewelry; they’re cheap and wonderful. A ring like this creates a nice playful touch, that carries well throughout the year. I would wear this with a nice sun dress, or with jeans for a run to the mall. There’s this whole culture on etsy dedicated to qwirky plastic rings. A lot of them are made with Japanese toys and glued to an adjustable base. Many of them I really like as presents for little girls. Any one of the flower rings I linked too could work for young girls, pre-adoloescent and up. As an adult you’d probably only wear it out once or twice anyway, after which you could give it away to the little girl in your life.

Please note this cassette ring, it’s hilarious!

As for classic ring options, once I saw a pavĂ© diamond knuckle- ring  set in white gold in a MarieClaire magazine article. It’s been 5 years and I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind. They’re such  a masculine, and violent concept, but the ring was elegant and slim. I found this option on Daily Candy’s website, and it’s quite nice. I keep pairing them with evening wear, either a lovely cocktail dress or satin suit. The overall finish would be quite stunning I imagine.

I’m also partial to simple geometric designs. This ring is a series of squares joined together. Also I really love Liz Mannette’s steelpan line. Her tenor pan ring is to die for!

Recently I’ve been really attracted to natural looking rings. Shells, Wood and Mother of Pearl rings call my name.

So what say you, What’s your ring type? I just think I need more!

[Via http://youcouldbelievethis.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment