Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Kettlebell Workout

Today at CrossFit Central, our Workout Of the Day (WOD) involved the kettlebells for the first time, and it was pretty tough. All of our workouts so far have been some type of compound lift interspersed with 400m runs, and today was no different. The lift was the Deadlift High-Pull with kettlebells instead of a barbell, like this:

Our WOD for the Level I class looked like this:

  • 50 reps Deadlift High-Pulls
  • 400m run
  • 40 reps Deadlift High-Pulls
  • 400m run
  • 30 reps Deadlift High-Pulls
  • 400m run
  • 20 reps Deadlift High-Pulls
  • 400m run
  • 10 reps Deadlift High-Pulls
  • 400m run
  • As you can see, even with the gradually decreasing reps, fatigue set in pretty hard mid-way through the 40-rep set. Your body doesn’t know when to rest, because the run and the lift sets were equally tiring. Every day, at the end of our workout, I am completely exhausted, and dripping with sweat. I felt especially worn-out today because of a lack of sleep. For some reason, I had insomnia last night, and didn’t go to sleep until almost 1am. The alarm at 5am this morning was especially hard to answer!

    I want to send a big happy birthday to my good friend Kellen, who turns 25 today! Kellen is a personal trainer, and a great up-and-coming triathlete, and he serves as an inspiration to me. Jess and I will be going to Sweeny, TX tomorrow to his parents’ house for his birthday bash this weekend. I will have to pay special mind to my diet, and try not to overdo it with beer and food too much. I am really looking forward to a couple of days off with good friends, to relax and recharge for next week.

    Question of the day: What is the best way to balance caloric intake and exercise on off-days from CrossFit? If I take a rest-day between the high-impact, high-intensity CrossFit workouts, should I lower my food intake for that day, since I will be burning fewer calories? Also, what is the proper amount of rest I should be getting per week? If I switch to a 3-day per week schedule at CrossFit, should I work out the other 2 days on my own, or do I need to let my body recover on those days? Please post your opinions and answers in the comments section!

    [Via http://chasepalmer.wordpress.com]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment