Monday, August 24, 2009

It's the little things that mean everything

Recently, I’ve noticed that I’m actually starting to get somewhere in this weight loss journey. It makes sense, I’ve been eating a lot healthier, eating less, and exercising a lot. But, since I take a good look at myself in the mirror everyday, it is a little harder for me to notice the subtle changes my body is going through. This is why when things happen that make me realize I am making progress, it can be so exciting. A few days ago, Patrick and I decided to go window shopping at Columbus’s biggest and most exciting mall. I’ve been kind of discouraging this kind of behavior lately, because we hang out in malls a lot and don’t really buy anything because we can’t afford it. But, I’m seeing that it may not be so bad. I mean, it is cheap (free, in fact) entertainment and it does get us moving. Although I’ve been trying to encourage us to get out and see more of Columbus, I guess I shouldn’t be so upset about the occasional mall trip. Anyway, while we were there, I decided to go and drool over some nice clothes. When I do finally make my way into the professional workforce, I am going to need some professional clothes…tons, in fact. I ended up going into The Limited, which had tons of cute professional clothes. Usually, I stay out of stores like these for the simple reason that I couldn’t fit into their clothes at the beginning of this journey. But, I’ve been trying like mad to shed some weight, so I decided to (gasp) try some of their clothes on. And you know what? They actually fit. And they looked good! Feeling pretty good, I ended up going to a few more stores and even tried on a few dresses that were a size smaller than all of the dresses I currently own and they all fit very well. It was a confidence boost to be sure. Eventually, I’m going to have to start replacing my wardrobe, but I don’t think I am quite at that point yet. But I will say, I am so excited about the prospect of a closet full of new clothes! This is something that keeps me motivated on the hard days. I really want to totally change up my style and be really fashionable and cute, exuding confidence. Right now, a whole new world of fashion possibilities is opening up to me. You see, previous to losing weight, I was only really clothes shopping at three stores: Lane Bryant, Target, and Old Navy. At size 16, I was at the low end of plus sized stores, but couldn’t really squeeze myself into much at “regular” stores. I like Target and Old Navy because they don’t try to segregate “regular” sizes from plus sizes too much, but I need some variety! I’m excited to go into some new stores (or stores I haven’t been to in years) and be able to fit into a wide variety of clothes. In other small progress news, my engagement ring is becoming too big for my finger. Why is it that I always lose weight in my fingers before I do anywhere else? Oh well though, weight loss is weight loss, so I’ll take it!

[Via http://lostintransiton.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment