Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dara Torres Raises The Bar

Monday, October 19, 2009

October 2009 Week 2

Hello Folks,

I want to send my deepest apologies to anyone who has been following my blog daily. My mother is visiting me for the next month and I have been spending all my time with her. She is going through a lot of changes, as am I, and it seems a perfect time for us to reconnect.

I have been slowing down on my workout routine, which has been a little hard for me. I usually get my boost from my workouts, but my routines have been a little off for a number of reasons, including the fact that my mom is around. It is also darker outside in the am, which is when I like to workout.

I have decided to change my structure for this blog a bit and try something new. From now on I will be posting pictures weekly instead of daily and blogging every few days. I really want to focus on the content, which will require a little more time than I have been using to blog in the past. 

If you haven’t had a chance, check out my new blog Inspire Thru Words. It is complimentary to this blog.

I think one of the best resources out there for growth is through studying everyday people doing extraordinary things. I am like you, an ordinary person, trying to learn from others how to find some success in areas of my life that are hard for me.

The best way to get there is to follow in someone’s footsteps and adapt it to your own way of doing things.

Since I am almost 40 now I decided to take a look at Dara Torres

 

 She has been quoted as saying:

 

“They may become harder to achieve, but your dreams can’t stop because you’ve hit a certain age or you’ve had a child.”

 

“The water doesn’t know what age you are when you jump in, so why not?” (commenting on entering her fifth Olympics at age 41)

 

Who Is Dara Torres?:

 

  • Born April 15, 1967 in Jupiter, Florida
  • First Swimmer from US to compete in 5 Olympics
  • Has won 12 Olympic metals
  • At the age of 40 won gold in 100 meter freestyle
  • Won gold after giving birth 15 months prior
  • Broke the World Record in women’s 50 meter free style in the 80’s
  • Broke her own Olympic American record twice 26 years after she set the first American record at 15 years old
  • First woman in history to swim in the Olympics past the age of 40
  • Her Olympic career spans 25 years

 

Here is a video interview worth watching…

 

  

 

 

She is a True Inspiration to any female athlete and particularly any older female athlete. A living example of what can be achieved with determination, vision, hard work and real committment.

She talks about how her training has changed because of her age. She says that she has shorter more intense workouts. She does two hours of swimming five times a week and One and a half hours of resistance training four times a week. Her body needs more time to recover than when she was younger, but clearly that didn’t stop her.

She also says that she felt more experience gave her an advantage over others.

She was known at the Olympics for being less serious and even chatty and smiling the whole time. No pressure was felt for her, because she had no reason to worry about failing, which actually made her a better athlete.

 

Quotes Source:

 

http://www.articlesbase.com/motivational-articles/3-motivational-quotes-from-amanda-beard-dara-torres-493136.html

 

Bio Source:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_Torres

No comments:

Post a Comment