Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Bike Has A Name

A week ago, I went out with my friend Jen for a bike ride.  I have to say here, Jen has incredible endurance.  She doesn’t ride fast like Coach, but I swear she can ride forever!  Oh to be like her! After 18 miles I was DONE, but could not be done, because we were not at our cars yet.  I still had 4 more miles to go!  So I pedaled on.  I ended up riding 22 miles, which I have NEVER done before!  It was ridiculous!

During our ride, she was admiring my new black bike and asked me what I was going to name it.

Name it?!?!

I had not even thought about naming my bike.  So as we rode, we thought of some names.

Black Beauty

Slim Shady

Black Widow

and Wind something…maybe Wind Rider were some of the ideas we came up with.

As we thought of names I realized if I was going to name this bike it had to represent me.  Feminine, yet strong.  It couldn’t be something all frilly and froo froo…because I am not.  It also had to represent what I am about…living, not dying.   My bike is a tool for living.  It is going to carry me for many miles along this journey and therefore is strong in itself.

Just as we reached the turnaround point of our ride, I joked that I should name the bike Beyonce, because I LOVE the song “Single Ladies”.  Jen then told me that Beyonce has an alter ego, named Sasha Fierce.  I liked it.

This is what Beyonce says about Sasha Fierce:

“I have someone else that takes over when it’s time for me to work and when I’m on stage, this alter ego that I’ve created that kind of protects me and who I really am,” the former Destiny’s Child front woman said in a statement.

“Sasha Fierce is the fun, more sensual, more aggressive, more outspoken side and more glamorous side that comes out when I’m working and when I’m on the stage.”-Beyonce

When I am working out or training or in a race, a fierce competitor comes out of me.  I want to do and be my best.   And as the pounds come off a new me is being revealed.  This journey hasn’t so much protected me as much as it has revealed me.  A fierce, fighting ME.  One who will not give up.

But I liked that the name is fun and funky…and fierce.

So the final suggestion came.  Sasha Fierce.  It seemed to fit.  It stuck.

So, meet Sasha Fierce.  The one who will carry me many miles…who will help me live bigger…who will help me fly next spring/summer in a few triathlons and who likes to show me who is boss form time to time!

Posed-after legitimate fall to look like the earlier fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment