Saturday, October 24, 2009

VITAMINS

I wanted to make you to mention, as I do not believe I previously have in any post, that you really should take a good vitamin while you are trying to lose weight. I have never really been much of a believer of this and in the past have never really been good at taking my vitamins but I have found out the hard way that it truly is a must do.

I went in for my yearly lab work and as a follow-up received a call from my doctors office. My vitamin D levels are very low and I need to take a supplement. Wow, I did not know how quickly vitamin deficiencies show up! And being deficient in any vitamin comes with its own risks.

The Journal of Nutrition states the following about vitamin D deficiency:

In adults, vitamin D deficiency induces secondary hyperparathyroidism, which causes a loss of matrix and minerals, thus increasing the risk of osteoporosis and fractures. In addition, the poor mineralization of newly laid down bone matrix in adult bone results in the painful bone disease of osteomalacia. Vitamin D deficiency causes muscle weakness, increasing the risk of falling and fractures. Vitamin D deficiency also has other serious consequences on overall health and well-being. There is mounting scientific evidence that implicates vitamin D deficiency with an increased risk of type I diabetes, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, hypertension, cardiovascular heart disease, and many common deadly cancers.

So, once again I have become the example for all of you..glad I could help..

TAKE YOUR VITAMINS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment