Thursday, October 8, 2009

New Wine in Old Wineskins

We’ve been told that it is “folly” to put new wine into old wineskins.  The old wineskin will crack and the new wine will eventually leak out.  An application of this lesson to my 100 lb weight loss journey is that I need to exercise caution in my responses to “well wishers”.  I need to learn that not all “well wishers” are sincere and it doesn’t take much for jealousy to rear its ugly head. The new wine represents my new attitude, my new resolve to stick to the task at hand,  even my new clothing that shows my 48 lb loss.  I’m busy about encouraging myself and looking for impetus and motivation.  I’m even cooking and baking “stuff”.  This is not my normal mode of operation.  And I guess I was receiving the compliments as “new wine”.  But the old wineskins of jealousy and rebelliousness against authority just don’t work well with the new wine of a positive attitude and optimistic determination.  I’m not allowing these comments and/or “acting  out” displays to throw me off as I would have done in the past.  Some big people are big because they insulate their tender feelings by applying layers and layers of unhealthy fat. These layers are a natural repellent and the world keeps its distance.  Well, world – this is a new day with a generous supply of new wine. And we’re moving on.  If you can’t be a sincere encouragement, then I advise you to move aside. I have a task to perform, a goal to reach and a Mighty God who can keep me motivated to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment