Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Full Catastrophe

Jon Kabat-Zinn refers to life, especially life with family, as “The Full Catastrophe.”  It sure can feel that way at times.  Under the best of circumstances, a family means lots of activity and a lot of love.  Under the worst, lots of chaos and conflict.  Hopefully your family is a balance between these two extremes.  Mine right now is not.

Still with the strong “wanting something more,” I remain committed to self-care.  Thus the two days off of blogging.  And I haven’t pushed myself to add strength training and yoga into my routine despite my intentions to do so this week.  My family is in crisis.  I’ve had little sleep in the last few weeks.  The future looks scary.  However, I am managing to maintain a reasonable diet and I’m keeping some time for exercise.  My body now complains when I don’t give it exercise.  Yay!

I think I finally get it that I am the only one whom I can count on to make space for me and to take care of me.  And so it is.

How I did today:

1.  Sleep - 9.5 hours last night

2.  Exercise - 20 minutes of brisk walking and 60 minutes of bike riding with a bike trailer, too

3.  Strength training - not yet 

4.  Yoga – nope

5.  Meditation – 10 minutes as soon as I finish this post

6.  Food – lots of fruit and veggies and a little extra chocolate

How I did Friday:

1.  Sleep - 6 hours last night

2.  Exercise - none

3.  Strength training - not yet 

4.  Yoga – nope

5.  Meditation – not today

6.  Food – don’t remember

How I did Thursday:

1.  Sleep - 4 hours last night

2.  Exercise - none

3.  Strength training - not yet 

4.  Yoga – nope

5.  Meditation – not today

6.  Food – light eating and two servings of chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment