Saturday, October 3, 2009

Weight loss graph tells all

Seven weeks and 11.5 lbs gone

Seven weeks of the 20 lb struggle

A picture is worth a thousand words. So I decided to look at my weight loss progress graphically. It really gives me a clear picture of how things are going. As you can see, the steep weight loss curve is tapering off.  It is becoming more and more difficult to chalk up weight losses each week.  And even when I am successful the amount of weight loss is getting smaller and smaller.

You will also notice that I gained weight one week. This really scared me. I am well aware that such a situation can easily lead to a downward spiral, also known as “the slippery slope.” BUT. I was able to turn things around and I am now happy to report that I am back on track.

One of my concerns is maintaining momentum.  As the weight loss slows down it is easy to get discouraged and bored.  I am beginning to wonder what more I can do.  It seems like I am already doing everything that I know to do to lose weight. I feel good about my food choices and have made a lot of progress on portion control. I am exercising 40 min to 1 hour at the gym three times a week.

Another of my concerns is the upcoming holiday season which starts with Halloween and continues through Thanksgiving and Christmas, ending with New Years. That’s two months jampacked with parties, gatherings and food – food – food! And not just any food. No. We are talking about candy, cake, cookies, pies, stuffing, gravy, potatoes.  The pressure is enormous and the temptation will be great.

I have already seen that eating just a little bit off the straight and narrow can lead to a weight gain and undo what has taken me so much effort to achieve. How will I cope with two full months of delightful food offerings? Will I be able to say “no” time after time after time? Or should I just let myself gain some weight and then struggle back from the abyss once more? What other choices do I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment