Saturday, October 3, 2009

Why I am Dropping the Weight

I’m in the middle of a month-long quest to lose weight.

Now, granted … people who have read this blog before have heard this charge before. Shannon, you’re always trying to lose weight. This has been something you’ve tried to do for years. Give it, up. We’ve heard this old song and dance before.

You see, this time is different. I’m actually losing weight this time.

In May, we estimated that my weight had ballooned to 340 to 343 pounds, give or take. Even though I never saw myself on the scale at 343, I wasn’t keeping an active eye on my weight until after our honeymoon, which we walked quite a bit both in Tennessee and Pennsylvania.

All summer, I stabilized my weight, but eventually spiked my weight back to that 340 plateau.

This is what I was looking like in May.

Handsome, huh?

Then something clicked in about mid August. I saw my wedding photos. I saw photos of me and I was disgusted. And, I committed myself unlike ever before to weight loss.

Here’s what I’ve been doing – Gone is McDonald’s and other fast food meals that have been a staple of my diet for 13 years. Gone are pizzas from Papa John’s and Pizza Hut that have been an excuse to cram tons of fat and calories into my stomach. Gone are high calories snacks and sugary substances like Pop Tarts. Gone are sugary cereals for breakfast. Added more protein, more salads, less portions, and more walking.

I’ve been active in weight loss since Labor Day. That is when I dropped turkey on fast food and haven’t been back sense.

Today, I weighed in at 323. I’m unofficially 20 pounds from my highest weight total ever (we say unofficially because they best we can do is estimate I was at 343). I am 12 to 15 pounds down from where I was on Labor Day.

The results are showing. Clothes are fitting better. I have more energy. I feel like I can move around better and I feel like I look better. I don’t have a good photo of where I am now. That will come, but suffice to say … it’s starting to become more noticeable that I’ve lost 20 pounds.

I’m not happy with where I am at. My weight of 323 is a new high, in my perspective, and I don’t want to be higher than this again. The goals are within site. I’m now 23 pounds from my end-of-2009 goal. I have 53 pounds to get to my next goal and 73 to get to my ultimate goal.

There are deadlines. As I mentioned, 23 pounds (300) by December 31. By March 7, 270 pounds. By May 30 (which would be our one year wedding anniversary) 250 pounds.

Here are some weight milestones for you. If I reach 300 pounds, that will be my lowest since my divorce to my first wife. If I get to 270 pounds, I have not weight that little since college. The same with 250.

The goals are withing sight and I will get there.

I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment