Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Simple Joys of Walking in Nature

What a glorious day for a walk!  Imagine this:  Rochester, NY, a sunny Saturday afternoon in mid-October with a temperature near 60 degrees.  If you’re familiar with our part of the world, that’s a really great day for this time of year.  Not too many days like that left in our fall season as temperatures cool significantly, days are much shorter, and our first snow could come at any time.

I was committed to walking in nature today for an hour.  I needed the time away from the traffic noise of my neighborhood; time to listen to birds and running water; time to feel the bright sun on my skin; and time to think.   By walking in the afternoon sun, I also get to maximize my Vitamin D absorption. 

I chose a beautiful local park – Corbett’s Glen.  In this spot, there are two beautiful water falls in the flowing stream of Allens Creek.  The trees and other flora there are interesting and showing the beauty of their changing fall colors.  As testimony to the beauty of this place, not one, but two, wedding parties were there during my hour-long visit posing for a multitude of pictures by each of the falls.

I also chose this site today because it has steep inclines.  I am currently enjoying the challenges of climbing small inclines and hills as a way to push my body beyond just walking flat land at a brisk pace.  I can feel the muscles of my thighs and butt (yay!) working to pull me up the inclines.  It’s an awesome feeling that I’m feeling the lack of when my only walk is around the neighborhood. 

For me, getting this more strenuous exercise in a natural setting is far more fulfilling than climbing stairs somewhere.  I went out of my way today to climb as many as inclines possible.  I didn’t really want to stop either but I knew my family was waiting my arrival to start cooking dinner.

The simple joys of walking in nature filled my soul today:  relative quiet, nature sounds of birds and rushing water, the changing leaves, and the timeless joy of my feet touching Earth.

How I did today:

1.  Sleep - 7 hours last night

2.  Exercise - 60 minutes of brisk walking 

3.  Strength training - not yet 

4.  Yoga – nope

5.  Meditation – none

6.  Food – a few too many meat and starches and 2 servings of chocolate

How I did today:

1.  Sleep - 7 hours last night

2.  Exercise -  30 minutes of brisk walking

3.  Strength training - not yet 

4.  Yoga – nope

5.  Meditation – none

6.  Food – good balance with lots of veggies

How I did today:

1.  Sleep - 8 hours last night

2.  Exercise - 25 minutes of brisk walking and a 40 minute bike ride

3.  Strength training - not yet 

4.  Yoga – nope

5.  Meditation – none

6.  Food – I don’t remember

No comments:

Post a Comment