Sunday, October 25, 2009

On Making Preparations

Today I went out to run errands in preparation for my move, and before I was done I was an additional $1,500 in debt.

I first went to Sports Authority for a pair of hiking boots that will keep my feet warm and still allow me to do a lot of walking.  $70.

I then went to the nearest gun shop for a small gun safe.  I never felt the need to lock up my pistol, but in Denver my nieces and nephew will be regular visitors.  The safe arrives on Monday. $130.

I then went to Merchant Tire, where I spent most of the afternoon.  My tires were too bald for an 1,800 mile trip through the midwest in December, so I bought a set of snow/mud tires.  While I was there, I had the mechanics tell me what kind of oil, brake fluid and coolant to buy, how to check the levels and where to add fluids if necessary. I had always let my dealer do all this, but for a trip across 7 states, I felt the need to educate myself.  I also lay on the floor of the garage while the mechanic made sure that I knew how to retrieve my spare and use my jack. $1,100.

I went to Catherine’s hoping to find a coat suitable for a Colorado winter, but nothing even came close.  The only possibility was a sort of squall jacket.  I tried on two of them, and both had stubborn zippers.  I had to order a parka online.  While I was online I got a cableknit sweater that I can pull over just about anything as an additional layer.  $182.

I still have to buy a roadside emergency kit–or at least some reflective triangles.  One of those big broom things for getting snow off my truck would also be nice.

###

Merchant Tire is within sight of my dojo.  I sat for a time in the waiting room, thinking about whether I could walk back through those doors to say goodbye.  I think I can, and I will sometime next month.  I need the closure, and I think Sensei does also.

Last year about this time I wrote about something I needed to do, about a favor I needed from a friend.  I still haven’t received that help, and I worry that I won’t be able to start over until I can get this task done.  Time is short, suddenly.  I went to bed thinking about it, and had an anxiety attack.

I don’t think I’ve had a bad day since deciding to move.  And I’ve lost 6 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment