Sunday, January 31, 2010

And So It Begins...

Full Disclosure: I’m not affiliated with any of the sites, people, or programs mentioned below other than that I am using them and like them a lot (and I think you will too!).

It’s almost 1 month into the new year and I’m finally posting to my newly re-imagined blog.  That’s ok though b/c I’ve got a great reason for it.  I’ve had an epiphany today regarding my health and fitness.  I’ve been looking into, and agreeing with, the primal lifestyle in general and, to be more specific, Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint (PB).  However, today things have changed.

First, I’ve finally taken action and ordered Mark’s book.  I have been reading his blog for quite some time and debating over whether to get the book or not, and today I took the plunge.  Not only that, but I’ve also created an eating plan based on the principles in the book and on Mark’s blog (call it a diet if you want, but this is a lifestyle change and NOT a fad that’s going on here folks).

To help with the eating plan, I’ve also signed up for the free online version of FitDay – which is a great way to track not only the foods I eat, but any activities I do, weight I lose (or gain, but that’s not the plan), and it allows me to set goals for all kinds of things.  My goal weight is my high school football playing weight of 210lbs (I’m currently @ 250.4lbs), and I have set goal ranges (minimums and maximums) for calorie intake, fat intake (calories and grams, and broken into saturated, polyunsaturated, and monounsaturated), protein (calories and grams), and carbohydrates (calories and grams) designed to help me get lean as well as lose weight.

I still need to set up my workout plan based on the PB principles, and I’ll probably do another entry when I get that done (hopefully later today).

The other thing that’s so great about FitDay is that regardless of what kind of program you are following and what your goals are, you can set the goals, ranges, etc. that fit your needs and it will keep track of everything.  It even gives you graphs for calorie breakdowns (by nutrient type), weight tracking, etc.

I was planning on working out today, and instead, I spent most of it reading up on Mark’s blog, ordering his book, and setting up my FitDay account.  It doesn’t take a long time to set up the account, but I’ve been doing a lot of reading along the way, and it took me some time to do the calculations to get the balance of calories, fat, protein, and carbs that I wanted so I could enter them in my goals on FitDay.  I also need to tweak my workout schedule/program before I get back at it.

So this is it.  Day one of my lifestyle change – and as an added benefit/motivation, I’m starting this in the middle of the second week of my company’s Biggest Loser competition (it’s 18 weeks total).  I lost 5 lbs the first week and expect this new outlook to continue my success, if not help me do even better!

[Via http://johnjmcmahon.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment