Saturday, January 16, 2010

Healthy Weight Loss In The New Year

January 16, 2010

Exercise is challenging to the truly obese individual. I’m not talking about the person who has just a few pounds to lose. I’m talking about those of us who are 25+ pounds overweight. At some point, obesity becomes a handicap. It impairs our ability to be able to do the simplest of things. Bending over becomes a chore and getting up off the floor can become quite challenging as we crawl over to the sofa to help ourselves get up. Getting dressed can be difficult too as we struggles to get our legs in our pants or to bend over and tie our shoes.

Excess weight on joints can cause pain and trouble with our back, knees and feet, often leading to other disabilities. Our heart has to work harder to do it’s job and we often become short of breath as we do simple things like walking or climbing a flight of stairs.

Sleep apnea has been associated with obesity, as has insomnia. High cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes are all associated as well. Obesity literally robs us of our health.

Over the years I’ve put enough weight related stress on my joints to cause joint disorders in my back and my knees. My cholesterol is rising, as is my blood pressure. At 52 I’m beginning to sit up and take notice of the seriousness of obesity as it begins to take it’s tole on my health. Those joint disorders now disrupt my own attempts at regular exercise. Obesity is like a double-edged sword. It takes your health from you and then when you try to get well, it stand in the way of your efforts.

I won’t give up though. I’m plugging along away one day at a time and hope that you are too. Anyone else out there fighting the same fight?

[Via http://artisticexpressions1.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment