Saturday, September 12, 2009

Don't Get Caught Unprepared on Your Night Out

There is a line in the movie Boiler Room. It is not one of the more popular lines, but it’s in there, nonetheless.

And it inspires this brief, but useful post, especially for you “night” types out there on the weekend. I have been there… It’s a challenge to balance “socializing” and fat loss.

With a wife and two kids, hitting the town is a rare occasion for me, which leads me to the scene…

MARTY

Can I change your mind about doing this IPO scheme?

SETH

No. I’m sorry. I already found someone who’s going in with me.

MARTY

Well then I’m going to help you out with it.

SETH

You’re gonna do it with me?!

MARTY

No, I can’t do it, Seth, but I want to at least make sure you don’t get caught…

Seth is about to do something that he knows better than to do, and his dad, Marty, a Federal Judge, knows he can’t stop him. But he will do everything in his power to help him…

Now, I am not going to go out with you tonight to paint the town red. And you know that having a few drinks will do nothing for your fat loss, and I know I can’t talk you out of it (’cause I am realist)…

But I can help make sure you don’t completely blow your diet.

Alcohol comes in at about 7 calories per gram (that’s calories for gin, vodka, rum, tequila, etc.). 1 ounce of 80 proof is going to run you about 64 calories on average.

Given that, the mixer is where you can really go off the rails. Things like large mudslides and margaritas can start to approach several hundred calories each.

Here are some other mixers that you might consider to keep the calorie count down…

Diet cola – 0 calories and great for rum and coke…

Orange Juice – 122 calories per cup… screwdrivers anyone?

(Tropicana Light N’ Healthy is only 50 cals per cup, by the way… I’m just saying in case you are going BYOB or having a party at your place…)

Cranberry Juice for that Vodka Cranberry? 137 calories per cup.

The moral of the story is that the simpler the drink, generally speaking, the lower the calories. One alcohol, one mixer. Usually juice.

The best option of course is to not drink at all. but if you do, Keep it simple.. and definitely don’t drive after drinking.

Check out this article for even more tricks you can use to cut back the calories when you are out on the town…

Photo Credit: 8175535@N05 / CC BY-SA 2.0

[Via http://themiddlemanager.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment