Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Only After I Learned This...

Back in the day, when I left college, I made a series of decisions. I decided where I would work (and how hard I would even look for a job), and I decided on how I would eat and exercise.

Both of these decisions affected me for several years afterward (and, it could be argued, that they still affect me to this day).

In both regards, I could have done much better, I just chose not to.

The problem was, I didn’t do anything to improve myself for 3 years.

I took no responsibility for my situation. Rather, I blamed others or thought up excuses. And, guess what? I was stuck in a job I hated, and I was gaining weight and girth.

And then, one day, I woke up, and decided that I need to change my circumstances. But I just didn’t know how.

And then, by chance, or by the stars aligning, I visited the bookstore. I am generally an avid reader, so it was not unusual for me to be loitering there. I picked up a book on quotes (you may have guessed that I like quotes)…

I opened the book, and this quote jumped right out at me…

I am who I choose to be. I always have been what I chose – though not always what I pleased.

Admittingly, I had to look up who originally said this. It was Lois McMaster Bujold, who is an American science fiction writer.

For more than a year (in my old house), this quote was taped to my bathroom mirror. While looking through a drawer for some batteries recently, I rediscovered it, and thought I would share it with you.

I have not always been what I pleased, but I have always been the sum of my choices. I chose to eat and not exercise. I chose to stay in a job I hated.

And then I chose to focus on eating healthy and exercising. I focused mentally, on my metrics, on my metabolism, and on staying motivated. And the pounds came off.

I focused on finding a better job, and I didn’t stop until I found it.

I took personal responsibility. No more excuses. And I plowed ahead until I got what I wanted. And you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment